Welcome to my little homeschool world. On the side you will see numerous free or low cost resources to educating your kids. I update the links often. But due to my busy schedule with family and life, I don't get to post little blurbs or reviews as much as I would like. So, if it's been a while, please excuse me. I'm probably busy with our own schooling or part of our lives. But you will find lots of websites and blogs in the links that I'm sure will give you hours of online exploration and reading!
Have a blessed day!
Angela

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Book of the Week - Tales from Shakespeare

Image Source

Tales from Shakepeare - by Charles and Mary Lamb

Shakespeare was a brilliant writer who brought contributed greatly to English culture. His plays, poems, and sonnets are to this day seen as the most brilliant literature works in English History.

When we were forced to read Shakespeare in my Public School days, it was boring to me and I did not understand it. I really believe that I've had no introduction to Shakespeare's works before that time. I had no knowledge of any of the stories, and little knowledge of the background surrounding the plays.

Later, now as a home school mother, I am quickly falling in love with Shakespeare. This past winter I found a copy of Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb at a local used book store and read it myself.

My now 10yo daughter saw I was reading it, picked up the book, and has read several stories herself. During her free reading time this is her current book of choice, and it's been seen in the car quite frequently.

The stories are charming, written in a way that are easy to understand, even for children, yet accurately telling the stories keeping the wit and morals intact.

No, this is not the same as reading Shakespeare's original works. These stories are considered heavily abridged versions of his works. But they make for a great introduction for a younger child to Shakespeare. My thought is if my daughters are introduced to the plays in this way now, reading the original plays later in her school career will be less daunting and more enjoyable for them.

I highly suggest this to any mom who has been dreading reading Shakepeare as a mom time read. This would be an enjoyable family read aloud during a longer evening story time in the winter, with a family size bowl of popcorn and cider.

I have given you the link to the Googlebook version above. A preview of the GoogleBook is below You can download and print out the book, or download the book to an Ereader. This book can also be found used at Amazon.com and Half.com, or maybe as a lucky find at a local used book store.

An audio version is available Librivox.org. You can go to the Tales from Shakespeare internet archive page for the chapter by chapter playlist or MP3 download. Or click play below to hear Tales from Shakespeare from the beginning.







Be blessed and enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love this book. We are on our third reading now but with different children.